Monday 28 January 2013

WIP - bones

This is what is in my hoop at the moment- a infant skeleton with a disarticulated skull. I know some people might find this image macabre or maybe even violent but it's just an anatomical diagram that shows how all the bits fit together and I think that makes it really fascinating and beautiful. The finsihed piece will be this image in a mirror image with one side filled in baby pink and the other baby blue so yes, I am playing on how we react to images like this, especially those of babies but if it works out the way I envisage it I think the end result will be very striking.
I would love to know what people think of this as it's not like my usual embroideries but I feel quite excited about it, so please your feed back-I won't be offended if you hate it!

7 comments:

  1. I think it's fabulous and can't wait to see the finished project. It's not macabre when you explain why you're doing it. It's perfectly interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think embroidery is art and art is free! I would like to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody brilliant. The world needs more of this kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So striking. Both the subject matter and the composition. I almost wish I could give you some constructive feedback... but all I have to offer is encouragement and a sense of excitement to see this progress. I would also love to hear more about the inspiration behind such a challenging, unusual artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting!! I'm anxious to see the final piece.

    My Dad received a book called Skulls for xmas this year and flipping through it definitely got me thinking about craft projects inspired by some of the skeletons. I think it's a great theme to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I really like this. When I was a teenager I wanted to be an archaeologist and spend a lot of time with archaeologists, shadowing them (and probably just annoying them).

    I remember one lady saying how moving it was to excavate infant burials, and your piece brought this to mind. I think it's a very moving piece. It reminds me how fragile infants' skeletons are, how marvellously our bones all fit together.

    Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone - sister twisty your comment is so interesting, the point about how fragile and intricate the infant skeleton is was one of the things that drew me to this image.
    Limeriot- i've seen that book! I look forward to seeing some skull themed crafts!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you