Monday 21 October 2013

Tall ship

Another scrimshaw influenced embroidery- this time of a tall ship. I am really enjoying using stitch to imitate engraving all those little lines. Really, really loving just playing around with shading and the effects it creates. Do you think if I did a large piece in this style using crewel wool I could ink up the embroidery and print with it or is that taking things a step too far?! (I am seriously considering this!)

This little ship is tiny - the embroidery is around three inches wide and is worked in a teal silk on white quilting/craft cotton. In the next one the waves will be more precise and will be stitched in minuscule sashiko. I think I'll have to go slightly larger though to achieve that- not massively bigger but enough to be able to fit in a few short stitches to create the shading on the waves.

Thanks for visiting, please say hello and if anyone tells me to go ahead and try printing with a crewel embroidery I promise to give it a try ;)


8 comments:

  1. do it, do it, do it. It would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewphie you're stuff is awesome as ever. And Wow, get you with your inspired ideas! You should totally have a go at printing from an embroidery. That sounds very exciting. Word to the wise, if you want to print from something you stitched you'll get cleaner results from cord- rather than wool- which might be too absorbent and fuzzy. You'll also need to mount it somehow so you can press it?
    Look you totally have me thinking about it now! b.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see an ink print, go for it! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK that's decided then I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to second the part about making sure you stretch it tightly over something, thick cardboard maybe, to make sure you can get a good imprint. The fuzziness of wool may be a cool effect though. I'd say try it using several different types of yarn and seeing which one you like best! The ship is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely!! But I can't believe it's soo tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous stitching! I'd love to see you try to print from thread, it would be amazing if it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure it would work. I think you'd only get the print from the middle of the stitches, not where they dip down to go into the fabric... but go on, give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you